Members' Window # 62  
by Robert Massart  
click on images to enlarge

- London 1798 -

Antique late Georgian cylindrical mustard pot, made of solid sterling silver, with original cobalt blue liner, assayed in London 1798 by the silversmiths Samuel Godbehere, Edward Wigan and William Abdy II.
The mustard pot is made of rolled silver, cut and seamed to make the upright shape, with a sheet soldered in place to form the flat base and a cover also of sheet silver. The light slicing and pushing-in of the surface, a technique called bright cutting, was a new type of decoration appropriate for the thinner-walled silver used at the end of the eighteenth century.
The body is pierced and brigth-cut with a band of fleur-de-lys and has an oval cartouche, made of a ring of flowers and festoons, which is free of a crest or initials.
The hinged and reeded cover features a band of scrolls, is engraved with the initials ML and is raised by means of an unpierced loop thumbpiece. The spoon aperture is cut opposite the reeded scrolled loop handle.
The bottom of the mustard pot is hallmarked with the crowned leopard’s head for the London Assay Office, lion passant denoting solid sterling silver, date letter "C" for 1798, head of King George III stamp denoting payment of duty to the Crown and the maker’s mark ‘SG over EW in a rectangle’ standing for the silversmiths Samuel Godbehere and Edward Wigan (entered 1786).
The lion passant mark and maker’s mark ‘W.A in a rectangle’standing for the silversmith William Abdy II are punched inside the lid.
The mustard pot is 64 mm high and 58,5 mm wide (88 mm including the handle). Weigth of silver is 81 grams and total weigth of the mustard pot is 209 grams.
William Abdy I was succeeded in September 1790 by his son William Abdy II and by Samuel Godbehere. So both silversmiths appeared to have been involved with the manufacture of this type of object more generally (info received from the librarian of the Goldsmiths’ Company operating the Assay Office London).

W.A in a rectangle stands for William Abdy II, son of William Abdy I. Free by patrimony 4 April 1781, when he is described as goldsmith. Livery February 1791. First mark entered 15 September 1790, shortly after his father’s death. Second mark 16 October 1790. William Abdy II moved to 11 Wilson Street, Finsbury on 3 February 1821. Resigned from Livery 1823, by which date retirement from trade may be assumed (London Goldsmiths 1697-1837 - Their Marks & Lives, p. 419).

Samuel Godbehere entered his first mark as a plateworker the 20th November 1784. Address : 86 Cheapside, London and the 27th November 1784 he entered his second mark.
His third mark was in partnership with Edward Wigan, 13 September 1786. The fourth mark with the same, 14 August 1789. Fifth mark 26 July 1792.
His sixth mark was with Edward Wigan and James Bult entered as S Godbehere & Co on the 15th March 1800, when he signs as Goodbehere as opposed to Godbehere in the first entries. His seventh mark, in partnership with James Bult only, 16 September 1818.
This partnership was apparently dissolved by 13 July 1819, when Bult’s mark alone was entered. Samuel Godbehere married Miss Wood of Great George Street, Westminster on 13 November 1790.
Heal records him as succeeding James Stamp , goldsmith and jeweller, 86 Cheapside, next Mercers’ Chapel, 1784; with Wigan as plateworkers, Cheapside, 1786; and as Godbehere, Wigan & Co (late Mr. Stamp’s), working goldsmiths, at the same address, 1787-1796.
Godbehere had power of attorney to sign the entry of William Bottle’s mark, a Bath goldsmith, 6 March 1800. A George Fred. Bult also had power of attorney in 1831 for James Burden of Bath, which suggest a fairly long connection of the Cheapside establishment with Bath goldsmiths, perhaps as supplying the latter with London goods (London Goldsmiths 1697-1837 - Their Marks & Lives, p. 524).
Robert Massart
- 2009 -